|Technical / Web Browser (incl. PDFs)
|Why do I need to empty my Web Browser's Disk Cache?
|The Browser you are using to view this FAQ is:
CCBot on unknown, unknown.
CLICK HERE for DIY instructions to clear your browser.
Since none of us are using a computer with unlimited RAM memory, in order to reduce the burden of a web server constantly always resending the different little pieces and chunks (images, stylesheets, etc) to a web browser, the person's web browser uses a part of the hard disk as 'cache' to have their own private place where it can fetch a copy of whatever chunk it needs 'faster' than receiving it across the internet .. again .. and again.
Over a period fo time, this web browser disk cache area gets FULL. It will be FULL to the point where the web browser will start to act inconsistently. Things won't load right. It interferes with the web session that you have with other sites. General unpredictable wierdness is the rule when the web browser disk cache is full.
With the online driving school site, this will MOST EFFECT the MODULAR QUIZZES and PERMIT TEST. Examinations rely heavily upon an active web session that the browser can maintain it's 'session key' with the server while it does things. If it cannot maintain it's own copy of the session key (because the browser disk cache is full) then you cannot take an exam.
In fact, if you are taking an exam and this occurs, you will see a graphic in the center of the body of content saying the same thing. At that moment in time, the web browser was not able to maintain it's own session information with the server. When it presents a session key (probably an empty key) to the server, the server could not find the corresponding key to know what to do next, and it gives the error.
The cure is simple.
- Logout of the online driving school.
(At that point, your web session doesn't mean much to the driving school system anyway.)
- QUIT your web browser (do a Ctrl-Shift-Q).
(If you close the browser (using the X [or red-circle for Apple Mac], the browser keeps running. If you quit it. Then all sub-processes [that could be using up some of the disck cache space] will die as well.
- Since we recommend only two web browser, click one of the two that matches your browser and OS:
- Search the internet on HOW you 'Empty/Clear your web browsers cache'. Then follow the directions you receive.
- Start (open) your web browser
- Return to online driving school, login, go to your WorkCenter, and return to your exam.
- If the EXAM doesn't load, you will have to send the tech-guy your student's name and that there was a web browser cache full error on a quiz in module Y.
He'll access the account and open the quiz back up to start over.